Last week I tried Yoga for the first time (not counting the one time ten years ago in college.) I have many close friends who enjoy the practice, and now that I am all-in on the mindfulness train, I figured I would enjoy this type of exercise/mindfulness.
What I wasn't expecting was how free I felt. The instructor kept saying things like "stretch your body out as long as it will go," and so I did. I stretched out my 5'8" long body, stretched out my long, lanky arms, and lifted my legs into the air. I felt free because I realized I had the permission I felt I needed to take up space, as much of it as I possibly could. I didn't feel constrained by things like social norms that dictate ladies shouldn't kick their legs up in the air, sexism that dictates men need/deserve more room on the BART train, at the table, really anywhere... I felt like I deserved the space I was taking up. It's not like I was consciously not trying to take up space in the world before, but this experience made me realize I was sometimes afraid to do so.
I am excited to continue taking up space in and out of Yoga mat land. #nastywoman4yoga
No comments:
Post a Comment