Sunday, September 25, 2016

Purpose of Vision

I have found it challenging to write a post these past few weeks given the recent murders of black men happening both in my community and in the nation. How could my heart be happy during a time of such suffering?

On Monday, I was reminded again by the beauty of purpose and how it can create a happy heart even amidst pain. I was preparing for a coaching conversation with her, when I found out that one of the students shot on Friday was a student she taught last year. I followed my intuition and immediately texting her, offering to push back the conversation if her mind wasn't in the right headspace for it. She declined the offer and said she'd be there, ready to engage in our coaching conversation. About halfway through the conversation, she said something like, "This is why I wanted to have our conversation today. I need to be focused on my vision for ensuring my students feel they have choices - I'm not sure if C ever felt that he did..." She reminded me that actually living into our vision can be the most healing thing in times of trial. I feel so tempted at times to retreat, pull away, and put my vision on "pause" so I can mourn, while she saw so clearly that the true purpose of a vision was to pull you through during times like these.

Leaving that conversation my heart was happier than it's been all month. Grateful for all that I learn from my incredibly inspiring and wise corps members.

No comments:

Post a Comment